Who are we?
We are a second-generation family business based in Rheinbach. Founded by Werner Böhm as a trading company in 1998, everything has revolved around dry ice for us since 2007. Alexander Böhm has been managing the company since 2021 under the name Pro Trockeneis GmbH. In August 2021, the company moved from Wachtberg near Bonn to our new headquarters in Rheinbach.
Our corporate culture, like us, has grown slowly. Three pillars have stood out in particular.
Independent – Sustainable – Together
In 2007, we were looking for a reliable dry ice supplier and, as a small company, we did not find one. In order to remain as independent as possible from large dry ice suppliers, Werner Böhm decided to start his own production. With a pelletiser and a delivery vehicle at that time, the dry ice production started and with it the possibility to reliably supply our customers with high-quality dry ice.
Over the next few years, the company continued to develop and dry ice production was joined by dry ice boxes and
dry ice production machines. And here, too, the focus was on independence from large companies.
But a company does not grow alone. A one-man business quickly became a family business and the family grew larger with each new team member. Together with our now 10 employees, we work every day to reliably supply our customers. We also succeed thanks to the good cooperation with suppliers and partners. Because it is only together with you that we can realise our goals.
The focus of our next projects is on sustainability. When we built our production machines, it was already important to us to design them robustly to ensure a long service life. With rising raw material prices, we looked around the market and found what we were looking for in Denmark. Our partner’s reliquefaction facilities ensure that we can reliquefy 45% of the CO² gas that would otherwise be lost. In this way, we not only conserve resources, but also save on journeys, and we heat our production hall with the waste heat from the machines.
We have set ourselves a lot of goals for the next few years, such as generating electricity from alternative energies and zero-emission production, but also the further training of our employees. A first step in electricity generation was taken as early as summer 2022 with a photovoltaic system on the roof of our production hall.
Things you may not have known about us yet
- We are currently 10 employees, from three different countries.
- Every lunchtime, the senior chef cooks for everyone who is hungry.
- We speak German, English, Russian, Syrian and Platt.
- During the flood disaster in July 2021, our entire box store was under water due to a small stream. Miraculously, nothing happened to our newly built farm in Rheinbach.
- Our production machines are not only located in Germany but also in Central and South America and large parts of Europe.
- We developed our first production machine for our own use only and painted it green. Because of the colour, it also has the nickname “Hulk”. Due to numerous requests from colleagues, we then started to further develop our pelletiser and also sell it.
- Our mascot is a little snowman called “Bob”.
- The PT 100 dry ice box is now used by dry ice producers throughout Germany and Europe.
- We won both the Ludwig 2020/21 and the Ideas Market of the Bonn/Rhein-Sieg Chamber of Commerce and Industry for our sustainable dry ice production.
- Bürgschaftsbank NRW has awarded us the 2022 follow-up prize.